Track season preview

Lucas+Snyder+is+the+coach+for+the+Wolves%27+track+teams.+This+is+Snyder%27s+first+year+coaching+both+girls+and+boys+track.+

Lucas Snyder is the coach for the Wolves' track teams. This is Snyder's first year coaching both girls and boys track.

Kristen Gushrowski, Sports Reporter

As the winter sports come to a close, spring sports are just getting started. Track coach Lucas Snyder is one of many coaches getting his team ready for the upcoming season.

With the retirement of coach Tim Bumber last season, Snyder is the head coach for both the City boys and girls track teams.

“It’s been great so far,” said Snyder. “We have a great core of boys coming back, and we are looking to build the girls team up to be competitive.”

Snyder is hoping to use his coaching experience with the boys’ team to build the girls’ team and help the girls improve.

“When I took over the boys we put an emphasis on putting the team first and working hard to improve on a daily basis,” said Snyder. “As long as the girls can buy-in to what we’re doing, I see them being successful in a year or two just like the boys.”

To prepare for the season, Snyder has been implementing different drills, conditioning, and techniques in practice. However, the cold weather has made it difficult for the team to practice outside on the actual track.

“It’s hard to get a lot done right now as the weather has forced us to get our workouts done inside, but we’re trying to build a solid base and stay healthy for the outdoor season,” said Snyder.

Returning for the Wolves include Matt Lockridge, Daniel Armstrong, Ellisha Martin, Jasmine McLemore, and Rashaunda Ridle.

“RaShaunda and Ellisha have looked great in our conditioning, I think they could be great leaders for the girls program this year,” said Snyder.

The Wolves’ first meet is March 3 at Portage High School.

“My biggest goal is for my athletes to have a positive experience and improve throughout the course of the year,” said Snyder. “Everything else will take care of itself.”