Swim team finishes season with a bang

From the left: Sarah Smith, Cecelia Latchford, Mel Kovenz, Lizzie Quinlan, Hannah Tubbs

Jack Smith, Sports Reporter

From breaking records to having personal best times in the pool, the girls’ swimming and diving team had an outstanding meet to finish their season with a bang.

The girls finished in fourth place, which is pretty good according to the girls.

One of the girls on the team, junior Allison Thomas, said, “I’m very proud of my team and how well we did. I’m both happy and upset that the season is over. Sectionals is our biggest meet of the year for most swimmers and the girls that swam did very well on their individual and relay events.”

Senior Lizzie Quinlan stood out the most out of the girls. After having a rough swim in the 200 yard freestyle on Thursday night’s preliminary round, when her goggles fell off, Quinlan was able to fight through the water and still make her way into the final heat in eight place.

Quinlan had one goal in mind, and that was to break the school record that has taunted her throughout her high school swimming career. Quinlan said, “When I stepped up to the blocks, I was ready to swim. I had all the drive and motivation to make all of my hard work pay off right then and there. I wanted to make the countless time and effort I put in worth it by breaking the record.”

She not only dropped six seconds off of her preliminary time of 2:05.52 to a 1:59.91, she also broke the school record of 2:00.35. “Breaking the record had been one of my goals since I was a freshman, and the fact that I was finally able to break it, even though it was on the last meet of my high school career, was a good feeling.” said Quinlan.

The divers also had a great meet as all three of the girl divers made it to the podium. Senior Mckenzie Plummer finished in fifth place. Unfortunately for the girls, only the top four move on to regionals.

Other divers include freshman Alyssa Mannaioni who finished in sixth place, and junior Ella Bogart who finished in seventh place. This was a key factor for the team’s fourth place finish because the divers accumulated 39 points.

The team also had some other big swims. The 200 freestyle relay was in second place going into the finals but ended in third place. Also, the 200 individual medley got seventh place, and the 400 freestyle relay got fifth.

Overall the girls believe that sectionals was the highlight of the season.

Jack Smith, Editor-In-Chief

As a kid, Jack Smith was fascinated by the world of reading and thought. With the thirst for knowledge, he decided to take school very seriously and upon...