Quiz bowl team makes it to State

Kaitlyn Steinhiser, News Reporter

MCHS’s 2015-2016 Quiz Bowl team will be going to the State competition on March 12, 2016 at Harrison High School in Lafayette.

The team finished with a 5-4 regular season record and defeat town-rival, Marquette, Crown Point, Portage, Merrillville, and Hobart.

Their final match before berthing into the State competition was with Hobart, and it was a nail-biter. After being tied twice and having to flip a coin to see who would choose the first category in the category round, the Wolves eventually beat the Brickies and claimed their spot as fourth in the DAC.

Due to the fact that they placed fourth in the DAC, no matter how they do at the official DAC meet on February 23, 2016 in Chesterton, they will still make it to state. Had they placed fifth, the team’s spot at State would be in jeopardy because someone could steal their spot.

At DAC, junior, Alex Schooley, will compete in the all-star round. In this round, each team chooses a player to compete against other all-stars on the other teams. The winner gets a Barnes and Noble gift card.

The team includes juniors Alex Schooley, Rhiggs Thomas, Kaelie Winebrenner, Rishi Verma, Eryn Sitar, Colin Moran, and Sophomores Sydney Kohn and Elizabeth LaFollette.