Purdue basketball defeats another top 10 team

Drew Hanft, Sports Reporter

The Purdue Boilermakers are now ranked number fifteen in the country after defeating their second AP Top 10 team in the span of just eighteen days.  The Boilers defeated the previously number 10 ranked Maryland Terrapins 83-79 on Saturday inside Mackey Arena in West Lafayette.

On Tuesday, February 9, Purdue defeated the Michigan State Spartans at home 82-81 in an overtime thriller.  Purdue’s two recent top ten victories is helping the Boilers in what should turn out to be a very nice tournament resume come March Madness time.

Purdue was led by seven foot senior AJ Hammons on Saturday who scored nineteen points in the contest.  Hammons also hit a very clutch step back three pointer late in the game when the Terrapins were trying to inch their way back after coming back by a huge deficit.  Hammons also co-led the Boilers in rebounds with seven.

Another star of the game was sophomore guard Dakota Mathias who matched his career high with 17 points and made three of six three point attempts.  Mathias had 12 points in the first half and had made five consecutive field goals in a row at one point.

Purdue is now 22-7 overall and 10-6 in the Big Ten conference.  The Boilers are currently fourth in the conference and are seeking a bye come the Big Ten tournament.