MCHS gets a new drum major

Cassie Mason is the new MCHS Junior Drum Major.

Suzanne Kaiser, Feature Reporter

The MCHS Wolfpack Marching Band is almost ready to kick back up their season. Before that could happen however, a new junior drum major had to be selected.

On Friday February 26, band director Rich Merrick and color guard instructor Trisha Foltz, hosted the drum major tryouts for the 2016-2017 school year. Sophomores Courtney Hart and Cassie Mason went head to head in a two hour long process to see who would become the new junior drum major for the upcoming season.

The process consisted of Hart and Mason conducting in a style called basic, which is just the standard type of conducting, at different tempos. Hart and Mason also had to march forward and backward various times. In addition to physically conducting, Hart and Mason also went through an interviewing process that included around ten questions.

At the end of the day, Mason came up on top and was officially announced as the MCHS Wolfpack Marching Band Junior Drum Major. Mason cannot wait until the season gets started so that she can finally show everyone her talents.

Despite how excited Mason is about being one of the top people in the band, she is also going to miss playing the mellophone and learning how to march the show.

“My favorite part about marching band were the competitions because all of the band’s hard work was finally showcased to the public, ” said Mason.

The entire band, as well as staff, would like to congratulate Cassie Mason on becoming the new Junior Drum Major here at MCHS.