Golf season comes into full swing

Jack Smith, Sports Reporter

As the spring comes into full bloom, the golf team can finally get back on the course.

The boys’ golf team is entering the season fresh off of its sectionals win last year and would like to at least be able to repeat that success.

The captains of the team are Jake Martin and Aaron Skibinski. They are both seniors with with three years of experience on the team, but have been golfing themselves much longer than that.

The new golf coach is Jeff Edinger. He is an assistant coach for the girl’s volleyball team and when the previous boys’ golf coach, Jason Lenig, resigned, he wanted the job. He was on the team when he attended Michigan City High School. He is upbeat on what he thinks the team can accomplish this year and would for sure like to get another sectional title.

Coach Jeff Edinger says, “My goals for this year are to help every player improve multiple shots over the course of the season, to finish int he top half of the DAC, to win sectionals, and to have Michigan City golf represented in some way at every level of post season play including state individually or as a team.”

The team has twelve golfers competing this season. They need each and everyone of them to play as hard as they can and put in the time and work in so they will have the chance of going back to sectionals and winning.

Senior Aaron Skibinski, who won sectionals last year, is looking for another title. Skibinski said, ” I’ve put in a lot of work before the season, so another sectional title with the team would be sweet.”

Skibinski is also looking forward to the chance to golf in college. He said, “I have a pretty good opportunity to play D1 with IUPUI and IPFW. I’m considering IPFW more because I already know some solid golfers that go there.”

Another senior who is looking to top off his high school career is Jakob Martin. He finished top five last year at sectionals and he would like to be able to go to regionals this year. Martin said, “Making it to regionals would make my high school career worth all the long hours at the golf course.”

Martin also said,”It will be a good season and we have a good and strong team. I’m at a point in my high school career where it isn’t just about winning anymore . As much as I want some hardware, I would much rather have fun and try to spread some wisdom to the guys just starting out on the team.”

There are a few new golfers on the team this year, and hopefully they will bring some good talent to the team in upcoming years. However, the majority of the team have at least one year experience on the team. There are three seniors, four juniors, three sophomores, and two freshman. The team believes this will be a good year for them and hopefully they will get the success they desire.