Marching Band Kickoff

Photo c/o: Deborah Moore

Destiny Harvel, Feature Reporter

On Friday March 11, 2016 the MCHS Marching Band had their kickoff for the upcoming season from 7-9 pm. The night started in the auditorium with an introduction to all of the adults, new section leaders, and drum majors. Students also got to hear a preview of some of the songs that will be performed this season. The show this year is “Oz-mosis”; a compilation of songs from Wicked, The Wiz, and The Wizard of Oz.

After a short practice of the Fight Song in the band room, the band broke into sectionals for individual practice and get to know you games. When they all got back, there was another small practice all together and then a performance in the auditorium for all the parents, and possible new band-moms and dads, that came.

Each of the vets are excited for the new season and cannot wait to help out the newbies this year. Head band director, Mr. Merrick, said that what he has most liked so far about this upcoming season is that he got to pick the music himself because last year when he took over for Mr. Ford, the music had already been picked and he just had to go with it.

While many kids that come to kickoff do not always come back, more students came than ever have before. Co-director, Mr. Meilander, says that is a new year for the band program and he wants to show the city that our band program can be one of the greatest in the state, possibly even the country.