Michigan City students participate in exchange with Valparaiso

Photo Credits: Aaron Garrett

Photo Credits: Aaron Garrett

Sage Santana, News Reporter

Michigan City High School’s Diversity Club participated in a school exchange with Valparaiso High School students on March 14th and 15th.

Students in each grade participated, with roughly 12 students from each school involved.  On Monday, students from Valparaiso came, dressed for success, and were paired with a student from Michigan City High School.  They followed the students to almost all of their classes. The following day, students from Michigan City High School went to Valparaiso High School, and followed their shadow to their classes.

The club decided to have the exchange day in hopes of exposing students to seeing how other schools function, as well as what life it like for a high school student outside of their hometown.

Valparasio Senior Annalyse Peña shared her perspective on the exchange days.

“It was interesting to see all the differences of our schools, but I loved how as students we were all the same.  I had an incredible time and loved the new friendships it brought, bridging a gap between the schools.”

Michigan City High School Senior Abby Schoonaert also shed light on her perspective participating in the exchange.

“The exchange days really made me realized how diverse our school is, and how many great programs we have.  At the end of the day, it makes me grateful for what we have here at Michigan City High School.”

At the end of the day, all the students had fun, learned a lot about Michigan City and Valparaiso High Schools, and made new friendships.