When terrorism terrorizes everyday life

Sage Santana, News Reporter

With the amount of terrorist activity gaining more and more media attention, people find themselves changing their lifestyle, living in fear, and in some cases, acting negatively towards their neighbors.
In light of the attack on Brussels, and the recent attack on Paris, there has been a surge in fear over the threat of potential terrorist attacks in the lives of everyday people. Things such as domestic and foreign travel, large events, and even participation in everyday activities, such as a morning commute, have become what many people see as a target for terrorist activity. This fear has been instilled into the hearts of people and has caused for many to alter their routines, to avoid certain activities, and to take extra precautions.
Michigan City High School junior Haley Bronk feels some apprehension when she travels due to potential threats.
“I do not live in fear of terrorism in my everyday life, but if I travel somewhere, somewhere unknown, densely populated, or far, I am more cautious of others’ intentions.”
The question, however, arises as to whether it is better to continue to live life, even with potential danger, or to change one’s everyday routine and take extra precautions.
There are some that believe that life during the time of increased terrorist activity is best lived in its normal routine unless threatened.
Michigan City High School senior Livan Arteaga believes that in terms of terrorist attacks it would be best to “hold on to making any interventions unless there was a scenario in which in which the United States was in danger.”
In a recent poll, roughly 83 percent of registered voters in the United States live in fear of a potential terrorist attack. This reflects in those who promote the increased securities and precautions that the United States has taken, particularly in light of recent terrorist activity.
Senior Jewel Meer noticed these precautions that the nation has taken due to the increasing fear of attacks. “Not just in airports has the defense against terrorism been increased, but in our everyday life with things such as our cell phones as well,” said Meer.
It is not just those who are victims of terrorist attacks who are affected, or those who live in fear of attacks, but those who are profiled unjustly due to terrorist attacks.
Due to the recent attacks being acts made by or in some association to Middle Eastern groups such as Al’Qaeda and ISIS, there has been an increase in racial and religious profiling in the United States and abroad.
Since 1997, the number of complaints filed from religious persecution or discrimination with the Equal Opportunity Employment Commission has increased three-fold. Additionally, the number of hate crimes against Muslims are five times more common today than they were before 9/11. Although they have since decreased since 9/11, the amount of crimes against Muslims is still relatively high, and with each attack comes a wave of anti-Islam sentiment that devastates Islamic communities.
Senior Mohammad Hakim expressed his opinion on the bigotry that arises towards Muslim Americans in lights of terrorist activity.
“As a Muslim American citizen, I am fully aware of the connotation that comes with having that title. The term ‘terrorism’ has become synonymous with the religion of Islam. With extremist groups being as prevalent as ever, tensions have been on the rise between Muslim communities and the general public. It has become necessary for Muslims in this nation to constantly defend ourselves as we explain that Islam is a religion of peace and tolerance and does not advocate these horrendous acts that are unfortunately occurring. This isn’t representative of my faith, but those who are adamant in believing so are overwhelmingly confident in their ignorance “ said Hakim.
Terrorist activity does not only devistate those who are directly affected by them, but also those outside the attack, in surrounding communities. It can only be hoped that someday, the terrorist activity will end, but so will the panic and discrimination that comes with it.