Mother’s Day

Amira Novitzke, Reporter

Mother’s Day in the United States is annually held on the second Sunday of May. It celebrates motherhood and it is a time to appreciate mothers and mother figures. It complements similar celebrations honoring family members, such as Father’s Day and Siblings Day. Many people give gifts, cards, flowers, candy, a meal in a restaurant, or other treats to their mother and mother figures, including grandmothers, great-grandmothers, stepmothers, and foster mothers.

The modern holiday of Mother’s Day was first celebrated in 1908, when Anna Jarvis held a memorial for her mother at St Andrew’s Methodist Church in West Virginia. Her campaign to make Mother’s Day a recognized holiday in the United States began in 1905, a year after her mother passed away. She wanted to honor her mother’s death because she believed that they were “the person who has done more for you than anyone in the world”.

On Mother’s Day people usually send cards or gifts to their mother or make a special effort to visit her. Mother’s Day gifts are usually flowers, chocolate, candy, jewelry and treats, such as a trip to a spa. Some families organize an outing for all of their members or hold a special meal at home. Before Mother’s Day, many schools help students prepare a handmade card or small gift for their mothers.

As this special day for mother’s and mother figures approach, be sure to do something kind or special for this person and let them know how much you love them thank them for guiding you and helping you along in life.