How to prepare for finals week

Suzanne Kaiser, Feature Reporter

Finals week can be a very stressful time for all students. So, knowing how to properly prepare for finals is the key to avoiding stress and acing every single one of your exams. Of course, all students would love to relax by getting messages or by the wonderful healing powers of dogs before finals, but that is most likely not going to happen.

With that being the case, here are some ways that students can actually prepare themselves for their impending misery known as finals week.

The first way that someone can prepare themselves for studying is by doing cardio.  Science says that just 20 minutes of cardio can improve their memory. Whether a person is dancing, jogging or busting a sweat by walking, exercise will increase their energy level and reduce the effects of stress, which is very important.

Another bit of advice to students preparing for finals week would be to not pull an all- nighter.  Based on a 2008 study by Pamela Thacher, Associate Professor of Psychology at St. Lawrence University, all-nighters impair reasoning and memory for as long as four days.  As a result, people will receive lower grades. But that’s not all; a person would then be forced to wake up earlier than expected–and that’s bad too. According to Dan Taylor, director of a sleep-and-health-research lab at the University of North Texas, this will interfere with rapid-eye movement (REM), which aids memory. So getting a good night’s sleep is important and people are expected to perform better on tests.

Although these are only two little ways to help students during finals weeks, there are plenty of other ways that students can prepare themselves.