Major issues

Mohammad Hakim, News Reporter

Entering into freshman year of college is generally associated with declaring a major. Declaring majors are also associated with being a major cause of stress among high schoolers and college students alike.
While in high school, students tend to stress themselves about what to do with the rest of their lives. One of the possible first steps to the rest of someone’s life is going to college. College is said to be some of the most enjoyable years of life. As lovely as that may seem, the first year can be a bit rough. After all, it’s likely to be the first time many people have been out on their own and have a lot on their minds.
With that, the first year of college is important and should be used as a valuable lesson. However, it doesn’t necessarily mean that one needs to declare a major right away. Even if someone does not declare it, that does not they will be lost for the remainder of time at college. It is a common misconception that in order to succeed in college one must declare their major right off the bat.
It is important for students to take their time to carefully think through what they are going to select as their major in college. While it is important to declare a major by one’s sophomore year, there should not be a rush.
A major is something that represents a particular field that a student is interested in. For example, Biomedical Sciences and Pre Law would be considered majors. Majors are designed to gear a student towards a career that will satisfy their desires as far as field works.
Either way,high school students can feel a lot of pressure, or none at all, in regards to deciding what their major in college is going to be.
Even if someone had their major figured out, every freshman is required to take a variety of general education classes that are required to graduate. Although some people may groan at this, instead of being disappointed about having to take these classes, people should use their first year to complete them. This will allow the student some time to think more about what they would like to declare as a major in the future.
At the end of the day, or in this case, the end of high school, one of the only things that matter is that the student is happy. Whether or not somebody has their major figured out by the time they start college is not that big of a deal.