Baylor football is a mess

Drew Hanft, Sports Reporter

Baylor football is an absolute mess.  After the firing of head coach Art Briles for the investigation into the handling of the sexual assault allegations that face some of the players on his team,  Baylor hired former Wake Forest head football coach Jim Grobe as its interim coach.”As a coach, winning is important. At the same time, I want to assure the Baylor family that every decision we will make in this football program will be made with Baylor University, her students and our student-athletes in mind” said in a statement after his hiring.

After the hiring of Grobe,  Baylor athletic director Ian McCaw stepped down from his duties and resigned. “After much reflection and prayer, I have decided that a change in athletics department leadership is in Baylor University’s best interest in order to promote the unity, healing and restoration that must occur in order to move forward. I have always sought to put the University’s needs ahead of my own. My time at Baylor has been an incredible journey filled with some of the most remarkable people I have ever known. I am grateful to Baylor Nation for its support and dedication, and to all who have done so much to advance the athletics program” said in a statement.

The university also stripped chancellor Kenneth Starr of his title of university president.  These demotions which have rapidly been occurring,  have caused numerous football recruits to decommit from the university. Kameron Martin, Patrick Hudson and J.P. Urquidez, in addition to Hezekiah Jones and Donovan Stiner, have asked to be released from their National Letter of Intent.

Baylor will have to overcome a lot of adversity if they want to be successful in the future.