A Promising Future for MCHS

Jack Smith, News Reporter

There has been a promise made to the students of Michigan City High School that will give more students the chance to get a college or post secondary education.
It is in the form of a scholarship called the Michigan City Promise Scholarship. This scholarship gives students the chance at a brighter future and will help our Michigan City community grow in a more positive way.
The committee that made the scholarship has a few goals for economic development and growth.
With the opportunity for more students to go to college, they hope that the Michigan City workforce will be more skilled and educated in their line of work. They also want to coerce students to stay in the MCAS public school system.
There has been an ongoing problem of losing students to other school systems. It also offers exiting families a reason to stay and a reason for new families to come into the MCAS school system. This will stabilize the housing market and will actually make the housing market grow.
Any industries that are relocating will see that Michigan City is a hotspot because of all the educated people looking for jobs. The people of Michigan City will be qualified to take those jobs. Also, the more education a person has, the higher the wages are, which means more revenue for the city.
The objective of the scholarship is to award anyone who meets all of the criteria $5000 a year for up to four years of their post secondary education.
The scholarship will only be able to be used for a school in Indiana, unless you go in front of the MC Promise Scholarship Appeals Board to attend a school out of state. The scholarship will only go to tuition and college fees. It will not be able to be used for books, transportation, housing, uniforms, or any other costs.
The money will go directly to the school. To be eligible for the scholarship a person must complete an application that shows their educational history, college destination, and provide your cumulative high school GPA.
They have to live within Michigan City city limits and show proof of home ownership. In the time from 9 to 12 grade a person has to complete 40 hours of community service. The amount that each participant receives varies dependent upon how long they have been in the MCAS school system.
From middle school to grade 12 they are eligible for one hundered percent of the scholarship. From grade 9 to grade 12 people are eligible for eighty percent of the scholarship.
From grade 10 to grade 12 they are eligible for seventy percent of the scholarship. From grade 11 to grade 12 they are eligible for sixty percent of the scholarship.
And for just grade 12 they are eligible for twenty-five percent of the scholarship.
Once they meet those standards they also have to meet these. They have to complete an application for financial aid (FAFSA) by its deadline.
Even if they do not need financial aid, they still have to apply. They need to graduate with a cumulative GPA of a 2.5 or higher from Michigan City High School. They also need to keep at least a 2.5 GPA while in college.
They need to have at least 12 credit hours per semester. For every year they receive the award they need to have 40 hours more of community service.
In the end, the goal is to have the youth of Michigan City go to college or other schooling and then come back and improve our community. This is called a reverse cycle effect.
The impact that this could have on the community is monumental and will make Michigan City the great city it is meant to be. People will not overlook the greatness of the youth here in Michigan City when they see the next CEOs of the world come from here.
This scholarship will give kids that did not otherwise have the money for a bright future the chance they needed to now make their impact on the world.