“Arrow” returns for season 5 premiere

Dalin McCully, Feature Reporter

October is a special month for superhero fans, as DC comics TV shows return for their new seasons on The CW. The chief live action show Arrow returns for its fifth promising season, allowing viewers to delve back into the life of Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell) also known as Green Arrow. Thus, marking the official 100 episode of the series. However, the green crusader’s mission of “saving his city” is now revitalized, but not without complications.

Season four left bittersweet feelings in the hearts of fans, after a swift turn of events. Former partner of Oliver, Black Canary (Katie Cassidy), was murdered by antagonist, Damien Darhk (Neal McDonough). Shortly before her demise, she made a promise to Oliver that is unknown to fans, but will be announced this season.

Oliver was also elected Mayor of Star City at the culmination of the previous season, which will most likely interfere with his long nights of chasing city criminals. However, he will manage to still uphold the ideals of justice characterized by his profession in a more civilized manner.

Fellow vigilante and sister of Oliver, Thea Queen (Willa Holland) hung up her bow and scarlet costume as Speedy at the end of season four. She is now in search of a new life in the political arena with her brother.

Sophomore, Makaila Fritz says, “Although it is really sad that Thea will not be speedy anymore, it is very exciting that she will still stay on the show. I guess she will just be a normal character now.”

Also, Oliver’s former fiance, Felicity Smoak (Emily Bett Rickards), is responsible for the accidental bombing of a village called “Havenrock” at the climax of season four. The incident was unavoidable as it would have destroyed a more populous village, but the negative repercussions of the massacre will most likely haunt Felicity through the course of season five.

The disassembly of Oliver’s crime-fighting lineup prompts him to draft new members to join his crusade in defending his crime ridden city. The team will most likely include Green Arrow’s protege, Artemis (Madison McLaughlin), a highly esteemed teen archer with a troubling past.

In addition, social media has also sparked interest in the hearts of fans after Stephen Amell posted photos of season two villain and iconic DC character, Deathstroke (Manu Bennett), on his Instagram page. However, it is unclear if the deadly villain will return this season.

Junior, John Marshall says, “The CW took the right shot in making Arrow. You will always be on the edge of your seat. When it is said and done you will want to shoot arrows just like Oliver Queen.”

Despite the events that took place previously, fans remain optimistic about the next season as it will answer questions about season four and set up a new era of heroes. Arrow will premiere on Wednesday, Oct. 5.