Hallway Headaches

Farrah Goodall, Feature Reporter

Almost everyone who has attended high school has experienced some type of stress; sometimes that stress leads to other issues like severe headaches. According to a recent study, one out of every ten students from the ages nine to eighteen experience headaches severe enough to cause functional impairment. There are two main types of headaches: tension type headaches or migraines. Tension type headaches are the typical pressure associated with a headache. A victim feels the tension throughout their entire head. A migraine, on the other hand, focuses its pain on the part of the brain directly behind the forehead, thus causing the victim to experience a sharp pain, to lose concentration, to feel nauseous, to fall into an irritable mood, and to want to sleep. Migraines usually are genetic and get worse the more stress an individual is exposed to. There are also several triggers for migraines including the weather, lack of sleep, loud noises, bright lights, certain types of food, and missed meals.

Sophomore Payton Colvin wants other students to be aware of the risks of those headaches as well as treatments. Colvin recommended her own techniques to any other students that experience severe headaches and/or migraines. “I try to keep a routine sleeping pattern as well as not always relying on my prescribed medication because my body cannot handle it all. When a migraine becomes severe, I lie down in a dark, quiet room and try to sleep, or sometimes a hot shower helps.”