MCHS’s new principals

Mrs. Manuel, Mr. Mabone, and Mrs. Van Buskirk

Sarah Smith, Editor in Chief

Michigan City High School has been blessed with an amazing teaching staff and administration. Unfortunately, a few administrators left last year but luckily for the school we have gained two new great ones and a fabulous new principal.
Last Spring, Mr. McCollum became the Assistant Superintendent when Mr. Botana left the MCAS school system to take a superintendent position in Maine.
Vice Principal Manuel stepped up and will be our interim principal for her last year. Mrs. Manuel is the very first woman to be principal of MCHS and is very proud of this accomplishment.
Mrs. Manuel said, “I am very proud to be the Principal of MCHS, especially while so many great changes and community partnerships are in the works for our students.”
Mrs. Manuel has been a teacher and an administrator for twenty-nine years. She worked as a teacher at Steel Valley Area Vocational Technical School, Elston High School, Rogers High School, Krueger Middle School, Michigan City Junior High School, and Portage High School.
She was an assistant principal at Portage High School, the principal at Griffith High School, assistant principal, associate principal, and, now, interim principal at Michigan City High School.
As the principal of MCHS Mrs. Manuel said, “I would like to see continued growth with the great academic opportunities, activities and community involvement our school offers to every student.” Mrs. Manuel has been a principal at MCHS before but this is her first year as the Interim principal.
Mr. Mabone has returned this year to the MCAS system to become an assistant principal. He has been a teacher and an administrator for thirty-eight years.
Mr. Mabone joined the MCAS system in 1991 when he applied to be the assistant principal at Elston High School. He taught at Gary Career Center for nineteen years, was an administrator at Gary Career Center for one year, a Michigan City High School administrator for seventeen years, and he was an administrator at East Chicago Central for one year.
Mr. Mabone said, “I would like to maintain order and ensure a safe environment for learning at MCHS.” In his free-time he enjoys going to car shows and looking at 1932 to 1989 models of cars.
Mrs. Van Buskirk is the latest addition to the MCHS administration team. She has been a teacher for fourteen years and an administrator for four years. She has worked at Wapakonetak High School, New Buffalo High School, New Prairie High School, and now Michigan City High School.
As a MCHS principal Mrs. Van Buskirk said, “I would like to continue moving forward with the technology and academics at MCHS. I want to help facilitate an increase in ACT, SAT, and AP scores. I want to be a part of the continual increase of the graduation rate.” Her favorite thing about MCHS is “the students she gets to work with.” MCHS students are lucky to have been given the opportunity to work with such an exceptional group of administrators.
All of them love the students and the positive atmosphere that has been created at MCHS. The 2016/2017 school year is going to be incredible.