New Addition to A. K. Smith Center

Emily Gushrowski

The A.K. Scissory Salon is ready for students.

Sydney Merrill, Feature Reporter

The ribbon was cut, officially opening the A. K. Smith Beauty College, or the A. K. Scissory, by students participating in the program on October 4, 2016.

Many students, teachers, administrative personnel, and school supporters attended the ribbon cutting ceremony, patiently waiting to see the newest addition to the A. K. Smith Center.

“Today is an exciting day for the LaPorte County Career Center,” said Audra Peterson, the director and principal of the LaPorte County Career Center.

In only a seven week process, the A. K. Scissory came to life. Assembling the salon was a team effort. Teachers and students dedicated their time to the project.

After multiple speakers from the community, the students participated in using their hair cutting shears to cut the ribbon. They then excitedly showed off their new facility.

A.K. Smith cosmetology students pose for a group photo.
Emily Gushrowski

“I think that the salon is really opening and fun. It needs a little more decoration, but it will get there,” said student Angelica Barth.

The facility includes the salon, a facial room, an area specifically for manicures and pedicures, and a formal classroom. All rooms are bright with natural lighting, and very professional.

Hosting the beauty school on site is said to provide greater resources and give the students more opportunities to participate in the community.

On September 17, the students had their first chance to host a live, full service salon at the Rittenhouse and provided service to many.

Ms. Amina Taylor is the program leader, and has been in the industry for over twenty years. Ms. Taylor is a “platform artist and style squad stylist for L’oreal.” She is also a technical trainer in methodology.

“I love bringing all of my experience to my learning environment,” said Ms. Taylor. “Beauty is power. Do what you love and love what you do.”