The ballot has more than one page

Down ballot candidates are just as important as presidential candidates

Kaitlyn Steinhiser, Editor

With all of these nonpartisan (or, in some cases, very partisan) “get out and vote” campaigns flooding people’s Facebook news feeds and televisions, it is important for Hoosiers to realize that the ballot consists of more than empty boxes placed next to the names of our presidential candidates: city, county, and state positions are up for grabs along with the ratification of a constitutional amendment.

Despite the fact that Clinton and Trump are running for a federal position, local politicians can impact the lives of their constituents just as much as the presidential candidates. Just look at the position of county recorder; essentially, the county recorder is in charge of maintaining permanent public records that could potentially affect the lives of anyone in their county. Knowing that this elected official deals with all of these records, voters should consider electing someone trustworthy and diligent. In order to do so, citizens actually need to vote for candidates running for those positions rather than skipping to the presidential candidates and leaving their polling place.

The gubernatorial candidates will also be on the Indiana ballot, and they represent the executive branch of Indiana state government. John Gregg (D), Eric Holcomb (R), and Rex Bell (L) are all running for Mike Pence’s seat since he is running with Trump on the presidential ballot. All three of these men have high hopes for Indiana, but they all plan on accomplishing their goals differently.

This election season, though, there is more at state than elected positions: a constitutional ratification is being proposed. Section 39 of Article 1 would “provide that the right to hunt, fish, and harvest wildlife shall be forever preserved for the public good, subject only to the laws prescribed by the General Assembly and rules prescribed by virtue of the authority of the General Assembly to promote wildlife conservation and management and preserve the future of hunting and fishing,” according to the ballot title. In summary, this would make it so that only the General Assembly is able to regulate hunting and fishing laws. So, by only focusing on the presidential candidates, Hoosiers would be waiving their right to control a constitutional ratification.

There is so much more to this election than the Trump vs. Hillary feud, and all voters should remember that the second they walk into their polling places.