Drone delivery?

Erik Hultgren, News Reporter

Drones are one of the more controversial topics these days when it comes to technology.
There are heated debates every year over whether or not drone strikes should be allowed to happen in warfare, not to mention an arrest every now and then when someone uses drones for illegal surveillance.
Whatever the opinion on drones however, it is easy to admit that they have huge potential for good, and the United Parcel Service has recognized that.
In late September, UPS completed their first drone delivery. The delivery’s goal was to deliver an inhaler to a children’s summer camp on an island off of Massachusetts. Drone delivery has been a hot topic in the last year, but the idea of being able to deliver medical supplies quickly to remote and rural areas is something that everyone can get behind.
UPS has also already expressed an interest in delivering blood, and vaccines all across the world using drones.
Medical deliveries are undoubtedly an example of drones being used for good, and the UPS hopes to use drones more often in the future. Although there is no timeline for it right now, UPS is one of the many companies considering large scale drone delivery. There would be lots of pros and cons to this idea, but if executed correctly it would revolutionize the shipping industry.
Widespread drone delivery would make the process of shipping packages and mailing letters much faster. Drones could also eventually be used for everyday activities like buying groceries, however not everyone is on board with this idea.
One of the main concerns about drone delivery is security. How safe would your package be? This is a valid concern as drones can be shot down, or hacked.
“To me getting a package safely and securely is more important than getting it quickly.” said Sophomore Cade Clarkson.
How companies could go about making sure that the drones are safe is a major point of discussion. Using drones may be faster than the standard delivery, but as of right now it is not as secure.
“I think that using drones to deliver packages is a good idea,” said Clarkson, “but at the moment there are too many uncertainties.”
Most people have a similar opinion to Clarkson. Although drone delivery would certainly have many benefits, there are a lot of questions left to answer. For example, if major shipping companies like UPS and FedEx start using drones, what happens to all of their employees?
Delivery men and women account for thousands of jobs, and using drones to replace them would be a very controversial decision that would affect lots of people.
Drones are undoubtedly the way of the future, but the world might not be ready for them just yet.
Clarkson said, “But at the moment there are too many uncertainties.”
Drone delivery would certainly have many benefits, there are a lot of questions left to answer. For example, if major shipping companies like UPS and FedEx start using drones, what happens to all of their employees?
Drones are undoubtedly the way of the future, but the world might just not be ready for them.