Game 7 stunner: Cubs win World Series

Gavin Buchanan, News Reporter

After winning the World Series for for the first time in 108 years, the Chicago Cubs remain lovable, but they are no longer losers.

The Chicago Cubs played the Cleveland Indians in the 2016 Major League Baseball (MLB) World Series.

The Cubs had rallied back the previous series versus the Los Angeles Dodgers to advance to the World Series. The Indians took ease to laying the Toronto Blue Jays to rest.

This World Series meant more to Cubs fans then just the title. Most Cubs fans have been waiting their whole lives to even get a glimpse of the Cubs in the World Series, let alone see them win it.

It had been 71 long years since they have even been in the title game, but it had been 108 since they got a victory. That is longer than 99 percent of the world’s population will live to be.

There are many curses that have haunted the program with the most popular being the curse of the billy goat.

Back in 1945 a man tried to bring a goat into the stadium, but he was rejected entrance into the game. He then placed the curse on the team that stood until a few weeks ago.

Other curses such as the black cat and Steve Bartman have haunted the team. Generations had waited for a victory of this caliber, and now  many generations can say they have seen the Chicago Cubs win a World Series.

With a fairly new manager, Joe Maddon,  the rest of the front office had began a rebuilding stage. The process included inquiring young, talented players such as Anthony Rizzo, Kris Bryant, and Javier Baez.

Maddon had a unique management style that involved using all the players, including those sitting on the bench. It was an exciting series, and, when the dust settled, the Cubs came out on top of what was a thrilling game 7.

When Chicago and the rest of the Cubs fans realized they had won, a date was set for a parade.

With all the energy and emotions, the parade was rushed to be two days after they won. This was a bold move because of all the overworked police and city staff from the days prior.

With over 6 million people in attendance, it was truly a crowded sight. The parade ran a long way and ended at Grant Park, where there was a rally. This parade was the 7th largest gathering to take place in the history of the world.

During the rally, players like Anthony Rizzo and World Series Most Valuable Player (MVP) Ben Zobrist spilled their emotions to the crowd. Rizzo even shed some tears. On the other side, they dyed the Chicago River cubbie blue using dyes similar to the ones used during the annual St. Patrick’s Day parade.

The Cubs have become the heroes of Chicago. The uproar is unbeatable, and  Wrigleyville is still packed with people weeks after the celebration.

Aside from being professional players, The Cubs have also become televised celebrities. They have appeared on television shows such as Saturday Night Live (SNL) and The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon in the wake of their historical World Series win.

They have  a newfound fame, even for professional athletes.

Some may say that they are one of the most influential teams in sports history. Chicago will truly immortalize all of these young men through its passion for baseball.