Power Struggle

MCHS experiences power outages

Erik Hultgren, News Reporter

Since the beginning of the 2016-17 school year, there have been two power outages at Michigan City High School. One power outage was caused by a car accident on Pahs Rd, and the cause of the second outage is still unknown.
Although both power outages were brief and the lights came back on soon after, they each had a large effect on the school day. In a world where teachers are increasingly reliant on technology, the power going out can set people back in many different classes.
All sophomores and juniors were also in the process of taking the PSAT in the gym during these outages.
“The power outage really distracted me and many others from the test.” said Sophomore Sarah Hyska. “I was worried that we would have to take it another day, but it was a big releif when the lights came back on.”
Aside from resetting the wifi and computers in the building, though, the outages did not have many negative affects. Power outages often cause a stir and can lead students to panic, but the best thing to do is to stay calm, and listen to teachers. The power generally kicks back in within a few moments.
In the rare event that the power does not turn back on, the school has backup generators that can temporarily support the building.
The backup generators can not power the school for an entire day, but they would give the administration enough time to assess the situation and make a decision that was in the best interest of the students. and faculty.