Students’ health: how health affects academic performance

How to deal with body images

Megan Grams, Sports reporter

Modern day students who are involved in school and other extra-curricular activities experience a toll on their physical and mental health.
Stress is something all high schoolers have experienced multiple times throughout their academic years. Stress sometimes can be a motivational tool, however, too much stress can backfire and harm the student. Being overly stressed can raise irritation levels, cause constant headaches, and increase drowsiness.
There is an assumption that modern students’ stress is derived from social media or bullying. Statistics have proven this assumption to be wrong. Academics and juggling after school activities are the leading causes of stress in teens today.
Maintaining good physical health is proven to help academic performances. Academic benefits derived from physical activity include: academic achievement and above-average grades, improved academic behavior, and increased academic interest. Specifically, physical activity encourages attentiveness and concentration.
It has also been shown that regular physical activity can help reduce feelings of depression and anxiety promoting psychological well-being.

health-unedited
Students experience body image related stress every day. Photo Credit: PiktoChart

Having a mental illness is a difficult thing to deal with, especially as a teen. Mental health problems cannot be physically seen, and this is why many fail to understand those with these problems.
So, this question is then asked: how do mental health disorders affect the student in school? Mental health disorders can affect: social interactions, inability to screen out environmental stimuli (sounds, sights, or smells which may be distracting to the student), inability to concentrate, lack of stamina, handling time pressures and multiple tasks, handling negative feedback, and the response to change.
Having good mental health strengthens and supports a teen’s ability to have healthy relationships, make good life choices, maintain physical health and well-being, handle the ups and downs of life, and discover and grow towards one’s potential.
Health is very important in sustaining the success a student may want in their academic career. Stress-management, physical health and mental health are more important than other priorities, especially to modern-day students.
Body images: they are something that can be a risk to a teen or could be helpful for a teen. Having an unhealthy body image can cause a teen to have a negative mood or mood swings in general.Young people who are feeling down are more likely to begin to focus on the negative messages around them, causing them to make negative comparisons between their body and what they see as an “ideal” body.
Having a low self-esteem and a negative body image are risk factors for the development of risky weight-loss strategies, eating disorders and mental health disorders such as depression. Rather than using the aforementioned weight-loss strategies and promoting potential mental health disorders, it is recommended that students stay physically active.
Keeping a positive body image is difficult but here are some key factors to guide those having a hard time coping with body images: focus on good features, exercise for at least 30 minutes a day, maintain a regular sleep pattern, drink ample amounts of water every day, and eat foods lacking trans fats and additional sugars.

I deal with stress by taking a break, by listening to music, or getting everything that I was stressing about out of the way, then I can finally relax.”

— Brianne Norman

Physical health is incredibly important in maintaining a healthy, successful student lifestyle, especially here at Michigan City High School.”

— Megan Steinhiser