Weird days of December

Destiny Harvel, Feature Reporter

Each month is filled with various “national” holidays with origins that are somewhat unknown to the public.
December is no exception to this and is filled with several holidays that revolve around food and other objects. The ultimate question, though, is where do these days come from.

Depending on the website sourced, the different days in each month vary. However, a real “national” holiday has to be approved by congress, which can take a long time. Other “days” can be created by companies, special interest groups, local governments, sports teams, and others just by declaring them to be holidays.

Some of these holidays are even copyrighted, which usually happens when there is nothing else happening on a random day. Card companies use these days to make more money for their businesses.

While some of these days catch on and get celebrated annually, many of them happen only one time. Freshman, Elliot Wood says, “I think it is a way to have fun in a different way. Like National Noodle Ring Day. Who does not like noodles?”

John-Bryan Hopkins is the creator of many of the food related “national holidays” throughout the year and says he created them to “fill in the days” of the year that did not already have a food to celebrate them.
He is on the staff for a website he created called “Foodimentary”, a blog based on food.

Each day of the year, the specific food being celebrated is displayed at the top of the page and features some of the history for that particular dish including where it originated from and significant events that may have happened surrounding that dish.
Some of these “national holidays” are celebrated on the days in which a specific object was officially invented. For example, the flashlight was invented in 1898 and National Flashlight Day is the twenty first of December.

December twenty sixth is “National Whiners Day”, created by Reverend Kevin Zaborney in 1986 to remind people that they should be grateful for what they have instead of “whining” right after Christmas about what they still do not have.
These days often go unknown and uncelebrated, but Sophomore Nathan Jones said, “Depending on the level of stupidity, I like to participate in them. I definitely would not wear a plunger on my head for that day though.”

National Wear a Plunger on Your Head Day is listed as December eighteenth, but also April thirteenth, which shows that depending on what website you look at, the dates of these random days can change quite a bit. Whether celebrated in April or December, there does not seem to be an exact origin of where that day came from. Many other days are like this since they are often made up in the moment.