New Year’s workouts bring happiness

Photo credit: aerotechdesigns

Photo credit: aerotechdesigns

Photo credit: aerotechdesigns

Dalin McCully, Feature Reporter

With the new year around the corner most people are already setting their New Year’s resolutions. A commonly made resolution is to lose weight, this goal is actually one to be sought after to help reap the benefits.

Most individuals make a new year’s resolution to have a fresh outlook on life in order to boost their happiness. However, most individuals do not live up to the the “new year, new you” rhetoric.

Exercising and adopting a healthier lifestyle actually is an essential element in boosting one’s happiness in a multitude of ways.

Individuals can take many steps to become more active. This starts with adopting clean eating habits. Individuals who eat more plant based foods and drink more water naturally feel better about themselves. They know that what they are putting on their bodies is energizing and wholesome.

Unhealthy foods with saturated fats, cholesterol, and added sugar can only lead to high blood pressure, diabetes, weight gain, and depression. Foods that are natural, low-fat, and are packed with vitamins and minerals give the body the energy it needs to propel itself towards an active lifestyle.

Physical activity releases a chemical in the body known as dopamine which is a neurotransmitter that is responsible for feelings of joy and pleasure.

However as people  age their dopamine levels decrease. This decrease is why so many people develop anxiety or depression disorders. The simplest way to combat this issue is by exercising to increase this necessary chemical.

Physical activity like running, swimming, and other aerobic exercises improve the functions of the cardiovascular, pulmonary, and endocrine system.

After engaging in a physical activity for an extended amount of time, a person may experience a state of euphoria called “runner’s high”. This state of relaxation is attained by the release of endorphins triggered by activity.

Stress is one of the main reasons why people suffer from depression.  Which oftentimes leads to weight gain and a collection of health problems.

Exercising can break this chain reaction of events by allowing the individual to constructively direct their energy in a positive manner.

“Archives of General Psychiatry, found that obese people have a 55% higher risk of developing depression over time compared with people of normal weight,” says Helpguide.org.

Seeing the results of one’s efforts can help to boost their confidence.

Although, there may be times when an individual simply does not feel like exercising, it is an energizing activity that fuels the body.

Medications to combat the effects of diabetes or high blood pressure are very costly. If one were to rid themselves of the need for these medicines they would relieve themselves of the burden of paying for them.

Making steps to become healthy in 2017 is simpler than most people think.

People can set goals to live up to their New Year’s fitness resolution by taking small steps first.

They can begin by cutting back on foods that are high in sodium, cholesterol, and sugar. Then, they can begin simple exercises like walking or jogging. These are good stepping stones to progress toward activities such as weightlifting or sprinting.

Access to fitness centers has increased locally in Michigan City with a host of fitness clubs and gyms.

In 2017 people can actually live up to their New Year’s fitness goals.