It’s Time to Lose Your Chill

An editorial on having absolutely no chill whatsoever

Kaitlyn Steinhiser, Editor

With memes and slang constantly developing and the current, controversial world we live in, I was not surprised to see my peers quickly deeming those who speak their minds and seek change to be people with “no chill.”

This phrase is typically declared through laughter, a shocked expression, and a subtle shake-of-the-head after someone else says something remotely jarring or out-of-the-ordinary. After being the person on the receiving end of a “no chill” comment and, admittedly, taking part in the use of the phrase, I have realized that it is time to stop buffering ourselves from considering our peers’ ideas or opinions by cowering behind the glass wall that is “no chill.”

By using this phrase, one is, essentially, enforcing escapism upon themselves and those around them. The negative connotation that comes with “no chill” not only allows its user to audibly classify someone’s opinion as controversial, and, therefore, out of the social norm, but it subconsciously forces others to do the same.

This basic form of social peer pressure also quickly morphs people’s statements into memes that should not be taken seriously. Slang has a purpose and a place in conversation, yes, but directly associating someone’s opinion with meme culture for no relevant reason aside from an incapability to mentally process their ideas is unnecessary. By doing this, users are belittling the opinions and actions of others.

If teenagers spat “no chill” every time they heard or saw something that surprised them even a little bit, then ideas and actions with the potential to be revolutionary would then be tainted with the doubts of others.

For example, the Dakota Access Pipeline project was recently halted due to protesters rigorously stating their beliefs. Had the “no chill” culture taken effect there, then each citizen may have hesitated before accepting the unique perspectives of other protesters. The combination of these protester’s thoughts and ideas drove the initiative to its goal, and this would not have happened had activists not accepted the struggles of their fellow Americans.

The “no chill” epidemic needs to come to an end, and the only way this can happen is if people start “losing their chill” more often.

Do not be afraid to share somewhat abnormal thoughts with other people, and do not immediately dispel the somewhat abnormal thoughts of others. Make new ideas and actions the social norm, and society will start graciously accepting them rather than rejecting them.

Kaitlyn Steinhiser, Editor

Kaitlyn, a senior at Michigan City High School, fell in love with journalism kind of by accident. It all started in fourth grade when she was accidentally...