Hawking gives humans 1,000 years

Erik Hultgren, News Reporter

Recently during one of his lectures at Oxford University, renowned theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking came forward with an extremely bold prediction regarding the future of the human race.
Hawking has predicted that, with the way mankind is moving right now, humans only have around one thousand years left on planet Earth.
Hawking attributes this to a combination of many different things including nuclear terrorism, climate change, and the rise of artificial intelligence.
Hawking, who won the Albert Einstein award in 1978, also went on to say that humans should attempt to explore other planets and solar systems, or face mass extinction.
According to Hawking, mankind’s best chance of survival is in colonizing other planets and stars.
“We must continue to go into space for the future of humanity,” said Hawking “I don’t think we will survive another 1000 years without escaping beyond our fragile planet.”
Although Hawking does believe that humankind’s time on Earth is running out, he is not necessarily predicting a disaster happening anytime soon.
He believes that, although the probability of a disaster on planet Earth in a given year may be low, it adds up over time, and, within millennia, the human race could be extinct.
“By that time, we should have spread out into space, and to other stars, so a disaster on Earth would not mean the end of the human race,”
Despite having such a bleak outlook on humanity’s future, Hawking went on to say that the last five decades have been extremely productive in terms of advancing man’s knowledge of the universe.
Professor Hawking called it a “glorious time to be alive and doing research into theoretical physics”.
“The fact that we humans, who are ourselves mere fundamental particles of nature, have been able to come this close to understanding the laws that govern us and the universe is certainly a triumph.”
Hawking predicts that humans have around one thousand years left on Earth, but that is not to say he thinks that the future can not be bright.
Advances in technology have the potential to prolong humanity’s remaining time on Earth, but that technology should, according to Hawking, be used to expand humanity’s horizons. Space travel will allow humans to live after any potential Earth-based disaster, and the only way to achieve mass space travel is to expand humanity’s technological findings. Humans could outlast Hawking’s grim prediction if space travel and technology continue to constantly evolve.
Hawking believes that technology and the will to explore outer space will leave humanity in good hands.