MCHS academic teams compete at Indiana colleges

Science Olympiad Team

Dalin McCully, Feature Reporter

Michigan City High School academic teams participated in annual Olympiad competitions at Indiana colleges on Saturday February 25, 2017.

The Science Olympiad team competed at Indiana Northwest in Gary.

The team, primarily composed of sophomores, spent months of preparation studying, writing, and building for the events at the annual Olympiad.

The team competed against seven other schools in Northwest Indiana such as Valparaiso, Chesterton, and Portage.

The competition is a day long event on a Saturday where hundreds of other students from schools all around the Northwest Indiana Region compete in hour long events.

The events consist of 23 team events in each division and range from subjects such as biology, engineering, forensics, and chemistry.

The Science Olympiad was coached by MCHS science teacher Victoria Gray and Katie St. Germaine. As her first year as coach she led the team to success winning a trophy and 7 metals in separate events.

Alexius Thompson and Dominic Yanke placed fourth in the Rocks and Minerals Event, Allyson Young and Dalin McCully placed fourth in Electric Vehicle, Julia Miller placed first in Chemistry Lab as well as third place in Disease Detectives with Jasmine Williams, and the team placed third overall.

Sophomore, Allyson Young said, “This year was pretty good. I just feel that for next year we should improve on our studying tactics and preparation. But overall I’m very happy that we were able to represent MCHS is a good way.”

The Japanese Olympiad team competed against most Indiana high schools that offer Japanese classes at Depauw University.

The competition is always held at a university, judged by college professors, and is ran by volunteers.

Japanese teacher, Tsugawa Sensei, is the coach of the Academic team and has won 8 awards with various groups of students in the past.

Tsugawa Sensei said, “It’s a very tense competition and it’s extremely fun. It’s a great challenge for my best students to really do some things that we couldn’t get to in the classroom.

The competitions are separated by levels of experience ranging from Level two to Level four teams.

The structure of Japanese Olympiad is similar to that of Quiz Bowl, where the students must answers questions about grammer, culture, history, and art.

Multiple students received awards at the competition.

Shelly Enriquez and Eryn Sitar placed second in the level four category, and Kendyl Adney, Natalie Parker, and Kiara Stancil placed third in the level two category.

Both academic teams had the chance to proudly represent Michigan City High School and reaped the rewards of their hard work.