Plagiarism in schools

Farrah Goodall, Feature Reporter

Students in English take a quiz completely online

Plagiarism and cheating has been an issue in schools all over, and there has been an increase as technology advances. One thing that is generally agreed on is that cheating is not acceptable in the academic world. Junior Myon McGee stated, “When I’m in school, cheating is definitely wrong. I’m here to learn, not cheat. Information is not retained when people cheat. I think that in the real world, though, after high school, cheating is more referred to as ‘using your resources.’”

Freshman Nate Ware said, “Cheating reflects negatively on someone’s character when they are willing to do it. They are willing to take the credit for doing work worthy of a good grade without putting in the work required to earn that grade.”
Cheating in the past has been simply looking at another student’s test or quiz or copying someone else’s homework to save time. With the addition of computers, laptops, and cellphones into the classroom cheating becomes a little more tempting. Assignments are done and turned in online without even opening a textbook, and as soon as a question is unknown there is a vast Web to turn to for the answer.
Ware said, “With technology, it only takes one person to do what they’re supposed to do, and an entire class can have the answers through a group chat.”
“Information is so accessible these days, and with a phone, that small device is very tempting when I know that it holds all the answers,” said McGee.
Teachers and school do have systems set up to prevent cheating. Mcgee stated, “It’s different with every teacher, but some have you turn in your phones, others just ask that you put it away, a lot of the times different copies of tests and quizzes are handed out making it more difficult to cheat, and MCHS has a zero tolerance for cheating. Academic dishonesty can cause severe problems in the future, and realizing that helps kids to resist cheating.”
“There might not be a way to completely eliminate cheating because people make their own choices in life, but it should always be encouraged not to do it,” said Ware.
“MCHS has good teachers that build enough confidence in their students so they do not feel the need to cheat, if more teachers did that I believe cheating would be less common. Also encouraging a non cheating route and building up students would be more beneficial than telling students ‘not to do it’ all the time. Usually when someone says not to do something, it ends up being the opposite outcome,” said McGee.
Technology certainly presents a challenge when it comes to plagiarism and cheating, but students of MCHS are proud to be rising above the challenges and doing their best to remain completely honest in their academic actions with teachers right beside them to help out in any way they can.