Soaking up sun

Emily Gushrowski, Sports Reporter

The sun can be damaging to people if they do not protect themselves from the harmful UV rays.  Teens spend the summer going to the beach, the pool, and overall, spending time outdoors, but many do not think about what the sun is actually doing to them.

UV rays penetrate the outer layers of skin and pass into the deeper layers causing damage to skin cells.

Cataracts can form in people’s eyes who have had prolonged exposure to sunlight.  Ultraviolet radiation from the sun can irritate and potentially burn the lens of the eye.  Sunglasses and a hat with a brim can help prevent cataracts and sunlight from entering the eye lens.

Sunburn is the most common negative effect of repeated sun exposure.  The symptoms of sunburn do not usually appear until four hours after being in the sun and worsen around 24 hours after.  Symptoms include, tender skin, headaches, fever, blisters, and nausea.  Severe burns and blisters require medical attention.

Excessive sun exposure can develop skin cancer if sunscreen is not worn for protection.  More than 90 percent of skin cancer diagnostics were caused by sun exposure.

“Using sunscreen is important to me, because I’m prone to melanoma, which is a type of skin cancer.  I use SPF 90 on my face during the summer and 60 on my skin to protect myself,” said Sophomore Sarah Hyska.

To be safe, teens should use a sunscreen with a SPF of 30 or higher, applying sunscreen every two hours, use sunglasses or hat, and use shade when available.