First Week Freshman Feelings

Anna-Lisse Lenard, Reporter

It has been a little over a week since school started at Michigan City High School and for the freshmen, it is just the beginning of their high school career. 

Freshman Chanay Hammond said,  “At first I thought there was going to be a lot of drama, bullying, getting lost, and stress. Turns out, for now, that there is no time for drama and bullying people. The school is actually smaller than I thought, and in all honesty, I am not really stressed out.”

At MCHS, the motto is “exceed expectations” and the school has done just that, especially for incoming students. With a gamut of clubs and classes, there are many ways to make friends and get involved. David Okeefe, also a freshman, said, “I want to join Chess and LGBTA+ club. I really hope to take digital design and other art and tech classes. There’s a lot of opportunities here.”

Some freshmen are already involved in clubs and have a head start while some are unsure of what they would like to do. Aalana Jenkins is a freshman who has gotten involved through music and has had a head start on getting acclimated to the high school. She said, “I love band and it is a great way to get involved. Although I want to do more clubs, I am not going to at the moment because band and homework take up a lot of my time. Next year, once I get a handle on high school and how things work, I will probably join theater.”

When Hammond was asked to sum up her experience so far, she said, “High school is a big deal, but not in a bad way. I am happy to go to MCHS. The teachers are supportive, the paintings are cool, there are so many opportunities, and best of all, our school is so unique and diverse.”