Students view the 2017 solar eclipse

Dalin McCully, Feature Editor

On August 21, 2017 a solar eclipse was seen across the nation, a phenomenon that rarely occurs in one’s lifetime.

A solar eclipse occurs when the moon passes between the sun and the earth. The eclipse cast itself over millions of gazing eyes from Oregon to South Carolina, these areas being within the path of totality. Numerous states outside of the path of totality were still able to enjoy a partial solar eclipse.

A total solar eclipse occurs when the sun completely covers the sun and the sun’s corona, an atmosphere of plasma, can be seen. Solar eclipses happen across the world, however total solar eclipses occur few times in a century. The next solar eclipse to appear over the contiguous United States will be in 2024, while the one seceding it will occur in 2099.

Millions of Americans also gathered together at viewing events. In the Region, The Adler Planetarium hosted the Chicago’s Eclipse fest which held various events and activities for children.

Engineering teacher at MCHS, Ralph Gee ensured that dozens of students and staff could take a close look at the eclipse.

Sophomore, Ja’Nyah Traylor said, “I was really glad the we were provided with the opportunity that we would otherwise not be able to experience. This way we are able to learn interactively have fun.”

Toward the latter of the school day, a viewing station was set up near the outside of the N-building. Students were equipped with glasses specialized for blocking the sun’s rays and could view sunspots closely through a telescope.  

Junior Allyson Young said, “”This was a once in a lifetime event, so it was pretty cool to be able to see it for the first and probably the last time.”