Science classes go canoeing

Stephanie Dege

Michigan City High School students while on the canoeing field trip.

During the last week of September, a few classes received the amazing chance to go on the Wilderness Inquiry canoeing trip through Trail Creek and participate in a few other activities at Washington Park.

While there, students were able to learn about Native Americans and objects that they used in the time before the Europeans came, which is known as pre-contact, and the time after the Europeans came to the Americas, which is known as contact.

A park ranger from the National Park Service showed the students a few different historical artifacts such as an arrow (pre-contact), a hat (contact), animal traps (contact), and more.

He then went into detail and explained to the students what the significance of each object was.

For example the arrow was for hunting animals, the hat was sold and traded among Native Americans and Europeans, and the animal traps were for hunting animals.

While there, a representative from the Department of Natural Resources also known as the DNR, explained to the students about invasive species versus native species.

He also presented some animals that could be found in different water areas.

The students got to see a different variety of aquatic animals from fish to crabs.

The classes also had the chance to learn about kayaking and some safety information that everyone should know.

The Northwest Indiana Paddling Association also showed the students different kayaks and what the difference among them would be. Students also were able to kayak on land.

Finally, there was a canoeing opportunity where the students had the chance to start at Washington Park and canoe through Trail Creek

The canoeing was said to be a lot of fun while some students were competitive and wanted to see who could canoe the fastest.

Others took their time and enjoyed themselves. Freshman Julia Wahl said, “The educational part of it was very interesting, but the canoeing was the most fun.”

Science teacher Stephanie Dege, who took her students on the canoeing field trip said, “This was the second year that the group did the program with the Wilderness Inquiry canoe trip.

This field trip offered students an experience that the majority have never had before and perhaps never will again.”

Dege said, “Not only did they learn canoeing skills, but they also learned about Native Americans and the settlers that came to this area from a National Park Ranger, native and invasive species from the Department of Natural Resources, and kayaking skills from the Northwest Indiana Paddling Association.

It was a fantastic day and the students walked away with new environmental knowledge and new outdoor skills.”

Michigan City High School Students having fun canoeing.
Michigan City High School students having fun canoeing.