Managing Stress

Dalin McCully, Feature Editor

Every new school year brings about challenges, the most common being time and stress management

Many students at MCHS are enrolled in Honors/AP classes, work secular jobs, and are a part of various extra curricular activities. These aspects of one’s student life can often times bring about immense amounts of stress and loss of time.

Junior, Tommy Komay said, “My schedule is usually very busy I am a part of drama club, am taking multiple AP classes, and play tennis. I manage my time after school by resting when I can going to and from tennis matches or utilizing time during my classes to complete assignments.”

Tips to better manage stress:

1. Write in a planner

Plan out a schedule with specific times on when to complete tasks. Write a plan on which assignments or other tasks are to be completed first when the school day and extracurricular activities have ended. In this way, work will be prioritized and the risk of forgetting assignments is reduced.

1. Take breaks in between studying

Studies have shown that humans can only maintain their attention to a subject for twenty minutes at a time. When studying it is advisable to take 2-5 minute breaks in between long studying intervals. By means of this, the brain is able to refocus its attention and retain information better. 

1. Sleep for 7-8 hours

Although today’s generation is infatuated with television, social media, and socializing, it is important that these activities cease at an appropriate time. This time must then be allocated for a “good night’s rest.” A sufficient amount of sleep at night allows one to begin the day with energy, as well as decreasing the risk of certain ailments.

1. Eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner

The term, “breakfast is the most important meal of the day,” holds merit in a busy student’s life. Eating breakfast every morning primes the body for a day full of work. Eating a meal in morning has been linked with increased cognitive function by means of restoring glucose which is needed for the brain to function. Following breakfast with lunch and dinner allows the body to replenish itself and supply it with additional energy.