An editorial on the recent pep rally

Farrah Goodall, Editor in Chief

As a senior at MCHS, I believe that having 92.3 visit and run the pep rally may have not been the best idea even if at the time it seemed like all the students were in the middle of the floor having fun. Changing the pep rally did away with traditions that seniors look forward to at their senior pep rally, it got rid of recognition for the fall sports, undermined the homecoming candidates, and did not remind the school what the pep rally was all about.  As a senior at MCHS, I believe that having 92.3 visit and run the pep rally may have not been the best idea even if at the time it seemed like all the students were in the middle of the floor having fun. Changing the pep rally did away with traditions that seniors look forward to at their senior pep rally, it got rid of recognition for the fall sports, undermined the homecoming candidates, and did not remind the school what the pep rally was all about.  Pep rallies are put in place to encourage student involvement by congratulating other students on their achievements. Students are supposed to come and spend an hour together showing their school spirit and pride by congratulating their fellow classmates and demonstrating their support for the activities that are to follow the pep session. Having performers use the pep rally as their stage did away with all of that. The homecoming candidates were not given the respect they usually are as the lights were shut off before all the candidates finished crossing the floor, the sports teams did not get to run out on the floor for a team cheer, the cheerleaders’ performance was cut short, there were no school chants cheering on the football team for the homecoming game, and no grade competition for the spirit stick. I look forward to my senior pep rallies, and unfortunately I was disappointed. The change to the pep rally was done with good intentions, but ended up hurting the students’ voice rather than helping it.  Student council has an agenda that the plan for every pep rally, and it was thrown  away for this pep session. An effort to include students also discouraged involvement at the same time. If students are not listened to, it could discourage them from further participation. Although 92.3 was brought to MCHS in an effort to encourage all students to participate in the festivities, it lost some  along the way and there has to be a way to do both so that the goal of maximized participation is achieved.  I understand the performers may not be able to come back to future pep rallies, but we could still have something like it in which the time is split between the traditional pep rally in the beginning and the newer concepts for the ending.

Farrah Goodall, Editor in Chief

Writing goes hand in hand with reading, one of Farrah Goodall’s favorite pastimes. She began reading at a young age and then continued on to strive and...