MCHS celebrates Halloween traditions

Erik Hultgren, News Reporter

Halloween is among the most widely celebrated holidays not only in the United States of America, but all across the world.

The holiday which is observed on October thirty-first every year has been around for centuries, and has several traditions that come with it.

The Halloween that we know today is commonly marked by a variety of children’s activities such as trick-or-treating and pumpkin carving, but it was not always that way.

Believed by most historians to have originated in the British isles, the holiday is often linked with the Celtic festival of Samhain, which means “summer’s end” in old Irish.

This celebration traditionally consisted of a large feast as the beginning of November would mark the end of the harvest season and the beginning of the colder months.

In addition to this however, it was believed that at this time of year the spirits of the dead could return for one night and needed to be appeased.

Halloween today is much different from the celebration of Samhain, but from the two customs of feasting and attempting to appease the spirits of the dead, clarity may be gained on some of the holiday’s more modern traditions.

When asking Michigan City High School students about their personal traditions for Halloween, two of the most common activities mentioned were dressing up in costumes, and spending time with family.

“A tradition that my family has is doing group costumes,” said Junior Evangelea Dabagia, “One year we were the fairies in Cinderella and then another year we were the Kardashians. It’s always really fun. When I was little we didn’t do it as much, but now that we’re older we get more into it, which is kind of backwards.”

Students also mentioned that as they have gotten older they have stopped trick-or-treating, but most consider it to have been one of their favorite activities when they were younger.

“Halloween is one of my favorite holidays especially when I was younger” said Sophomore Nathan Stevenson, “I definitely miss going trick-or-treating with my siblings, and getting so much candy.”

Despite most high school students growing too old to trick-or-treat themselves, that does not stop them from giving out sweets to droves of eager, costumed children every year.

“Even though I don’t trick-or-treat anymore, one of my favorite things to do on Halloween is to give out candy.” said Senior Sydney Kohn.

“I may not trick-or-treat anymore, but I love horror movies. I like to have the classics playing while my friends are over helping my pass out candy,” said Senior Trystin Harrison.

No two people, or two families celebrate Halloween in the exact same way, but there are several shared traditions that can be seen throughout the various social levels.

One of the staples of Halloween every year in Michigan City is the trick-or-treating hosted by student-athletes at Ames Field.

At this event, nicknamed “Howl-O-Ween”, athletes from every Michigan City sport come out to pass out candy to local children dressed in their costumes.

The event is open to all of the Michigan City community and is free of charge.

The event is popular among both the kids, and the athletes who attend, as it is a way to give back to the community while having fun.

“It is an easy way to promote our basketball team while team bonding. Plus, all the children that come through are so cute in their costumes,” said Senior Molly Heath.

“Every year I try to coordinate my costume with a teammate,” said Junior Hannah Noveroske. “Last year I was a huge gorilla and my side-kick was a banana. I think it’s important to show the children that we pass out candy to that there is still a lot of fun to be had even in high school as long as they get involved.”

Student-althetes have already begun planning for a fun-filled night by brainstorming their costumes. This year, Howl-O-Ween will take place on October twenty-sixth at Ames field.