MCHS tackles Howl-o-ween at Ames

Juniors Jaklyn and Jordyn Bosserman

publish

1509385823

Emily Gushrowski, Feature Writer

MCHS athletics held the annual Howl-o-ween event at Ames Field on Thursday, October 26, 2017.  Children ages 0-12 were welcomed to come trick or treating from 6:30 to 8:00 p.m.  The high school athletic teams stood at tables to pass out candy to trick-or-treaters and did activities with them, involving games and prices.  Dollar donations were collected to support the “Champions Together” program at MCHS.

The Howl-o-ween event provides a safe and fun environment for the kids of Michigan City to enjoy trick-or-treating and other Halloween activities.  

“It is a good environment for kids, because it is safe and fun with a lot of activities, and it is family friendly,” said Senior Caroline Weber (Gymnastics).

AP Biology and Anatomy and Physiology teacher at MCHS, Mrs. Gresham, liked that the high schoolers came out and interacted with the trick-or-treaters.  Junior Chase Triplett thinks the event encourages the children to try sports or even come to MCHS when they are older.  “Kids are seeing how much fun we are having, so it makes them want to come here,” said Triplett (Football and Track).

Freshman Mary Pat Kelly (Soccer and Basketball) believes the activities are really encouraging and help the kids to experience the fun things that take part in MCHS athletics.  Sophomore Dawson VanBuskirk’s (Boys’ Golf) favorite part of the night was seeing everyone that came out to the event.

The MCHS athletes came together to give back to the community and participate in an event that promotes safety in trick or treating for younger kids.

“It is so nice how the community comes together, and I just love how some of the kids interact with the high schoolers.  Hopefully events like this continues to bring pride to our city and the kids as they continue to grow,” said Freshman Lia Thomas (Golf and Basketball).