Black Hole challenges our understanding of the Universe

Reagan Lowry, Reporter

Scientists recently discovered a huge, young super-massive black hole. As far as scientists know, it shouldn’t be able exist, it may even change our understanding of the universe as we know it.

This is the furthest black hole that has ever been seen by scientists. It’s so far away that we are seeing something that was formed when the earth was only 5 percent its current age. The black hole will provide an insight to when the stars first came to life. Astronomers found the black hole within a light that had to travel for 13 billion years to reach our telescopes. Scientist claim that shouldn’t be able to happen. Our current understanding of the formations and the beginning of the universe suggest that a black hole with that great of a mass shouldn’t actually have been able to form. For the formation of such a huge black hole, the very early universe might have been able to create black holes with masses reaching 100,000 times the mass of our sun.

“This is the only object we have observed from this era,” said Robert Simcoe, the Francis L. Friedman professor of physics at MIT’s Kavli Institute for Astrophysics and Space Research. “It has an extremely high mass, and yet the universe is so young that this thing shouldn’t exist. “The universe was just not old enough to make a black hole that big. It’s very puzzling.”

This is so significant because it will help with our understanding of a period of time when the universe first began creating chemicals stronger and more complex than hydrogen and helium.