Bowling: representing the city with pride

Megan Grams, Sports Editor

Throughout the years, both the boys and girls bowling program, here at MCHS has brought a lot of success back home to Michigan City. The past four years have been filled with this said success and even though this season has just begun, both teams have already shown signs of a solid season on the lanes. The boys and girls teams have big goals they hope to achieve this season.

With the boys’ finish at the State finals last year, they hope to make it back to the big stage and to simply “survive and advance.” Last season, the team lost three seniors, which leaves them with a little room to work with. This season’s lineup is full of mostly juniors and seniors and they hope to hit it big in the postseason again.

The girls team made an appearance at Semi State two years ago, and with all of the work and building the team has gone through these last two seasons, it has definitely shown on the lanes. The girls team is fairly experienced and filled with upperclassmen ready to do what it takes to get to the state finals this season and make a name for themselves.

The girls team started off the season with a win in the books. They won the Big Cat Classic held in South Bend. This was the first tournament win for the Lady Wolves this season. This tournament was followed up by the NWI Preseason Invitational held in Merrillville, the girls qualified first and finished fourth. It was not the finish the team was looking for, especially coming off a win at the previous tournament, but the highlight of this tournament included two all-tournament team finishes: Senior Caselle Pavlack and Junior Megan Grams.The team also finished second at theNew Prarie/ Riley Baker Challenge. This past weekend (December 9 and 10),  the girls’ team competde at the Region Rumble held in Michigan City and the Boone Grove Invite held in Hebron. They had a successful weekend placing second at the Region Rumble with two all-tournament finishes from Senior Hannah Baltzell and Junior Megan Grams. The Sunday following, the team finished third at the Boone Grove Invite, also with two all-tournament finishes from Junior Megan Grams and Sophomore Alexandria Hahn.

On the boys side, their start to the season was a little rocky, but they nonetheless had some highlights at the two tournaments so far. At the NWI Preseason Invitational the boys qualified first, but lost in the first round. Although it was not the finish they had wanted, the tournament was highlighted by an all-tournament team qualifier, Junior Tyler Stockley.

The Michigan City bowling teams have been known for their dynamic and passionate performances on the lanes. Onlookers see that every ball rolled down the lane has purpose and each bowler truly wants to be there and wants success for not only their team as a whole, but for their teammates as well. This dynamic persona is both of the teams’ strong points and advantage.

The girls team has multiple goals this season, one already have been accomplished at the start of the season. Winning the Lakeshore conference title has been on the team’s to-do list for three years, and heading into this season they have a tremendous chance at capturing it. “The biggest competition for us this year is Portage. Winning conference and defeating Portage would be a huge milestone and give us confidence we need heading into the postseason,” Senior, Caselle Pavlack said. The girls team has recently completed one of the three goals this season — winning  Conference against Portage 6-4 at Hobart Lanes.

Collectively, on both the girls and boys side, they hope to make it far into the postseason not only as a team, but hopefully having some individual qualifiers. State is the ultimate goal for the girls’ team this season, and they will do anything to get there. “Our team is like a big family, we all glue together nicely and we are always picking each other up. That is what gives us an advantage to make it to the state finals this season,” Senior, Jessica Delgado said.

The boys have similar goals this season. They hope to once again make it to state and although the team had lost three key bowlers to the lineup last season, they still show the passion and love for the game this season. This passion and love for bowling is an advantage that the boys’ team has over the others heading into the postseason. Not only does the team want to see success from the team in the postseason, but also see some success individually. “This season I have a lot of individual goals, but I really want to make it to State Finals again. We were 6 pins away from State Champions and I really want to accomplish that as a team this year,” Junior, Chris Wilson said.

The boys, just recently won conference, making them five-peat champions. Along with their goals for the post season and winning another conference title, the team hopes to perform well at tournaments and hopefully bring some hardware back to City.

Both of the teams want to bring success back to their school and to their hometown because of one thing: Pride. “Bringing success back to City means a lot to both teams because they have been fighting for recognition throughout the high school. When we bring home hardware and when we win conference and tournaments, we heard the pride and we saw the recognition that these bowlers deserve,” boys’ Coach, Chase Coleman said.

As the season is coming to a fast close and with post seaosn just around the corner, both teams hope to have another successful season.

Megan Grams, Sports Editor

Megan Grams is very passionate about her writing, whether it be journalistic or creative writing. Writing is a walk in the park for Grams, she finds that...