Musician of the Month

Cassie Mason playing the French horn during Symphonic Band

Dalin McCully, Feature Editor

Senior, Cassie Mason has been playing the flute since 6th grade.

She came across the instrument by default. She says, “I chose the flute because during the summer band program before starting middle school I didn’t have an instrument yet, so they my put me in with the flutes. So I just decided to play the flute.”

In her sophomore year, however, she chose to play the french horn. She currently plays the french horn in the Symphonic Band.

Mason has been involved in music at MCHS for five years. She has participated in concert band, symphonic band, and Marching Band. As the years progressed, likewise did her musical abilities. During her Junior and Sophomore year, she was awarded the roll of Drum Major of The Wolf Pack Marching Band.

Mason says, “Band has made many opportunities for me. Being in Marching Band has allowed for me to have many experiences with competitions and concerts where I have made so many memories that will follow me forever.”

Mason made close relationships with her friends April Lawrenz, Sylvia Fitzpatrick, and Hannah Debald.

After graduation she plans to attend Purdue University and study Environmental Geoscience. As an honors student at MCHS, she also enjoys being active in other extracirricular activities such as NHS, German Club, and swimming.

Mason will primarily miss the closeness and unity that she has been a part of by being in several bands at MCHS for the last five years. She will also miss the competitions that she participated in, cheering on the football team on Friday nights, and marching at parades.

Her love for music has motivated her to continue playing in college.

“Music and playing and instrument has united me with so many other people and has disciplined me. I’ll definitely miss being in Band at MCHS, but I’m looking forward to seeing what the future holds for me,” said Mason.

Dalin McCully, Feature Editor

Writing is a creative way to convey emotions and ideas for Dalin McCully, a senior at Michigan City High School. Crafting literature is a unique way for...