Martin Luther King Jr. Day

Photo Credit: chicagocrusader.com

Photo Credit: chicagocrusader.com

Photo Credit: chicagocrusader.com

Dalin McCully, Feature Editor

On January 15, 1929, civil rights activist Martin Luther King Jr. (MLK)  was born in Atlanta, GA.

In the US on January 15, his birth and legacy is commemorated in admiration of his hard work and accomplishments in his lifetime. King was one who believed in civil rights since his childhood and strongly held the belief that one day in the future his dreams of equality in the United States would become realities for millions of African Americans and other minority groups.

At the time his birth, he lived in a nation that was deeply entrenched in the roots of racism and hatred against African Americans. After taking notice of his circumstances at a young age, he sought to change social conditions and urge for equality in all aspects of American life.

King faced various challenges in his adolescence, many resulting from institutionalized segregation which prohibited him from enjoying many activities. Since his childhood, racism and segregation caused him a great deal of turmoil, such as when he was no longer allowed to be friends with his white neighbor. However, the feelings of depression, anger, and frustration sparked in him an earnest desire to fight toward equality. He began to follow his dream. A dream he spoke of in his most notable “I Have a Dream” speech delivered in the nation’s capital “that (his) four little children (would) one day live in a nation where they (would) not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.”

Ultimately, his dream came true. In 1964, President Lyndon B.  Johnson outlawed segregation by means of the Civil Rights Act. After a series of marches, non-violent protests, speeches, and incarcerations, King and countless other a blacks succeeded in gaining their civil liberties.

As a minister, his religious beliefs were at the forefront of his movement, encouraging the practice of non-violent protests and frequently incorporating religious teachings in his speeches. King was a man who believed in love over hatred, and preached this notion regularly and sought to inculcate the same quality in others.

By the time of his untimely death in 1968, King had made a lasting impression of love on millions of people and improved the lives of countless more.