New York Mets invite Tim Tebow to big-league camp

28

1

Megan Grams, Sports Editor

Tim Tebow, former Heisman Trophy winner, has a long shot at playing in the major leagues, especially since he is about to turn 30. However, the New York Mets extended an invitation to the non-roster player to participate at their big-league camp in Florida on February 19. No matter: Tebow will once again be the most scrutinized player attending the camp, especially with his drive ti forge a career in baseball resumes.

Tebow was among nine other non-roster invitees who will join the when their full squad reports in February for Spring training. This will not be Tebow’s first trip through Spring training, but it will be his first as an invited guest.

In 2017, Tebow was added frequently to the major league roster and- after going to the wrong on-deck circle before his first at-bat- playing in nine Grapefruit League games, starting 0 for 9 before pushing his average as high as .235 and getting hits off of reputable major league pitchers such as Michael Wacha  from St. Louis. He finished the Spring, averaging .148 (4 for 27) with eight strikeouts.

That was the prelude to what Tebow had to offer for the 2017 season. He started at low Class A Columbia (S.C.), where he famously homered in his first professional at-bat. He batted a .220 average with three homers and a .311 on-base percentage as the Fireflies’ starting left fielder.

The Mets then promoted him to high-A Port St. Lucie. Tebow had hit five home runs in 64 games, finishing his first pro season with a .226 batting average and eight home runs over the two levels.

Crowds swelled in the Spring and well into the Summer wherever Tebow played, and that figures to be the case this year also. The Mets may opt to have him repeat high Class A —  where he would be seven years older than the other prospects — or advance him to Class AA Binghamton, where he would face a few prospects on a nightly basis.

Megan Grams, Sports Editor

Megan Grams is very passionate about her writing, whether it be journalistic or creative writing. Writing is a walk in the park for Grams, she finds that...