Tragedy strikes in Florida School

Almost a month ago one of the most horrific shootings of the modern era occurred. Parkland, Florida, a town that was voted in the top ten safest places in Florida only weeks earlier, became the next victim of gun violence in a battle that seems to never end.

Seventeen unfortunate, but brave individuals from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School lost their lives at the hands of a disturbed nineteen year old former student.
Unfortunately, it has become a commonality for people to target schools. Schools are known as “soft” targets due to a lack of security.

Schools are supposed to be a place where kids are able to feel safe, and potentially seek comfort if life was rough at home. This is not the case anymore.

Schools now have to prepare emergency precautions in case there is an active shooter on a school campus. Kids now not only have to worry about academics, athletics, friendships, and relationships, but also the deep dark thought in the back of one’s mind that it could happen to them.

This generation of students, however, is finished waiting around. They want to help solve a problem that adults have not been able to fix for years.

Parkland marked the eighteenth incident where a gun was discharged on a school campus this year alone. Seven of these were during school hours and three of those ended with at least one person dying.

A large group of students from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School have taken it upon themselves to start a movement. They have gone to Tallahassee, Florida to try to spark reform at the state level, which in turn would make a change at the federal level.
The group is completely led by students and they have inspired groups to form all across the nation. This movement grows by the day.

Seventeen year old David Hogg called on his representatives saying, “I call on the legislators of this country to take action and stop, stop this from happening. Thousands have died from gun violence and it’s time to take a stand.”
The students everywhere are ready to make a change however possible.

Protests and walkouts have been organized nationwide. On March 14, students across the nation will walk out of schools to a call to Congress to “pass legislation to keep us safe from gun violence at our schools, on our streets and in our homes and places of worship,” according to Women’s March Youth EMPOWER organizers.

The National School Walkout at 10 a.m. and will last 17 minutes to honor the 17 students and staff members killed at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parland, Florida, on Valentine’s Day.
The MCHS student body is one of the groups inspired by this movement to take a stand.
However, instead of a walk out protest, students at MCHS will participate in a March for Change. Local officials have been invited to visit the MCHS march and answer questions from the student body regarding school safety issues.
On March 24, students from Parkland and other national organizations are also organizing March For Our Lives, a march in Washington, D.C., to call for school safety and gun control.