Yankees defeat Astros in walk-off fashion

Megan Grams, Sports Editor

Starting pitcher for the New York Yankees, CC Sabathia did not bring his best stuff to the table against the Houston Astros Tuesday night. However, starting pitcher for Houston Charlie Morton did not either, but it did not matter. This game was deemed a ‘battle of the bullpins’ and the Yankees came out on top.

Both pitchers had a rocky start in the first inning, but the Yankees defense was impeccable keeping runs off the board. However, Morton gave up a leadoff home run from Brett Gardner, giving the Yankees a lead 1-0. The Yankees’ lead did not last long though. Evan Gattis helped the Astros offensively with leadoff home run in the second inning. The Astros would have had another great chance at scoring, however J.D. Davis’ deep hit to left-field was robbed by Gardner.

The Yankees broke up the tie once again in the bottom of the second on a Miguel Andujar double that scored Gleyber Torres who had previously hit a single. Their lead only lasted through the third, as Sabathia gave up the lead in the fourth. Evan Gattis drew a one-out walk, followed by a Davis single. Marwin Gonzalez scored both on a double.

The Astros carried their 3-2 lead into the fifth, when things got really messy. The Yankees committed back-to-back errors, putting runners in scoring position for the Astros with no outs. Houston took advantage of the mistakes committed by the Yankee’s defense. Yuli Gurriel singled home Alex Bregman. Gattis followed up with a sacrifice fly scoring Jose Altuve.

The Yankees, now trailing 5-2, started out the bottom of the fifth inning with a bang. Aaron Judge launched the first pitch into the right field stands.  In the ninth, the red-hot Gardner launched a dramatic, game-tying, two-run home run to tie the game up at 5-5.

The Yankees’ defense quieted the Astros’ offense and headed into the bottom of the tenth inning looking to walk off the reigning World Series Champions. Andujar began the inning with a double which brought up Torres. Torres came in clutch hitting a walk-off single scoring Andujar. The New York Yankees beat the Houston Astros 6-5.

Megan Grams, Sports Editor

Megan Grams is very passionate about her writing, whether it be journalistic or creative writing. Writing is a walk in the park for Grams, she finds that...