Volcanic activity in Hawaii

Jack Smith, News Editor

A volcano of Hawaii named Kilauea is on the verge of an explosive eruption. The volcano has been very active in the last or so. Lava has oozed out into a neighborhood called the Leilani Estates. Hundreds of people have already been displaced as the volcano continues to advance. It has not erupted quite yet but the volcano has already caused a large amount of damage. That goes to show that if the volcano does erupt it could be very deadly.

Scientists are now warning people of the risks saying that explosive eruptions could cause large rocks to be thrust into the air and they could become projectiles and cause a lot of damage. So far, the eruption has destroyed 36 structures since it began releasing lava from fissures that opened in a Big Island neighborhood about 25 miles east of the summit crater. A 15th vent opened Wednesday, spreading lava through Leilani Estates and neighboring Lanipuna Gardens, Hawaii officials said.

Separately, Hawaii Gov. David Ige said the Puna Geothermal Venture energy plant near the lava outbreak was accelerating its removal of about 50,000 gallons of stored pentane, a flammable gas, from the site.

It would be “very, very hazardous” if a volcanic vent were to open under the facility where the fuel is stored, the governor said. He expected it would all be removed by Thursday.

“The explosive conditions resembled Kilauea’s 1924 summit eruption that killed one person and spewed rocks, ash and dust into the air for 17 days”, said Tina Neal, scientist-in-charge at the USGS Hawaiian Volcanoes Observatory.

Adventurous people are able to go and actually watch the volcano up close and in person. At the moment the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park is still open for visitors. They will only close the park if it becomes too dangerous. So many people are jumping and taking advantage of witnessing the volcanoe in person.

Jack Smith, Editor-In-Chief

As a kid, Jack Smith was fascinated by the world of reading and thought. With the thirst for knowledge, he decided to take school very seriously and upon...