Sox walk-off the Tigers in dramatic fashion

Megan Grams, Sports Editor

After Monday night’s dramatics, the Chicago White Sox now have sole possession of third place in their division, American League Central (ALC). This walk-off win was the first home-game win against the Tigers in 2018.

The second half of the season has proven to be more successful for the Sox, and it only continued to get better on Labor Day. Going into the bottom of the ninth inning, the Sox trailed 2-1, but would overall edge past their division rivals 4-2.

Defensively, the Sox had a solid outing from starting pitcher, Reynaldo Lopez, but offensively were unable to score no more than one run off of Detroit’s starting pitcher, Michael Fulmer. After a first-pitch, leadoff homerun by Nicky Delmonico the Sox would remain scoreless until the ninth inning.

Lopez was able to keep Detroit off-balance at the plate, keeping the Tigers’ offense silent and scoreless until the seventh inning when Niko Goodrun hit a solo homerun. Lopez finished the seventh strong, finishing the game with only one earned run, recording six strikeouts with no walks through his seven innings of work.

The Sox bullpen did its best to keep the Tigers’ offense at bay. Ian Hamilton pitched 1.1 innings with two strikeouts. Jace Fry had a rough outing, giving up the go ahead run with one out in the ninth inning on a homerun from the Tigers’ Victor Martinez. However, Fry would record the next two outs, giving the Sox a chance to win the game.

The Sox offense headed into the bottom of the ninth, down 2-1. Daniel Palka, who had been exceptionally clutch during his ninth inning at-bats, had once again came in clutch Monday afternoon. Palka’s 21st homerun of his 2018 rookie season tied up the game 2-2. Two batters later, followed by a single from Wellington Castillo, Matt Davidson ended the game in a dramatic fashion with a walk-off, two-run homerun. This win had edged the Sox into third place in the ALC division.

With this win on Monday afternoon, the Sox improved to 56-82 on the season. They have a 23-20 record in the second half of the season and have yet to lose a series since they played the Cleveland Indians in early August. The Sox plan to start Lucas Giolito in game two of their current series with the Tigers on Tuesday night.