Boy’s Soccer

Back to Article
Back to Article

Boy’s Soccer

Gavin Buchanan, News Reporter

As summer begins to dwindle and falls rears its head, Fall sports at MCHS are happening. Among these sports is Boy’s Soccer. The team looked to improve on last seasons record and get better as a whole. An exciting experience for the team was that they got to play a soccer game on Ames Field. The field, which is most commonly used as a football field, was converted into a soccer field. They are the first team to ever play a soccer game on Ames Field. The Wolves faced off against Illiana Christian in this game and won in a 2-1 thriller. Senior captain Riley Shreve said, “Playing at Ames, I had the time of my life. It was a nice feeling to be the first person to ever score a goal at Ames Field.” The Wolves are 8-6-2 on the season and will face off against Chesterton in the first round of Sectionals. Other victories include South Bend Clay, Morgan Township, Crown Point, Laporte, etc. Beating close city rival Laporte was a big step for the Wolves as they charged into playing powerhouse Crown Point. In a very intense match the Wolves came out on top in a 3-2 victory. That is the first time our team has beat Crown Point’s team in the four years the seniors had been here. The victory came after a little bit of a verbal scrap between officials and individuals in the crowd. This caused the refs to eject everyone in the crowd and almost cancel the game. After all of this though, the wolves came out on top. The wolves are waving goodbye to eight seniors this year. The seniors that will be graduating this year are Riley Shreve, Erik Hultgren, Riley Buckler, Josh Olsen, Jack Attar, Bryant Najera, Jacob Kiser, and manager Brenden Coyle. All of these young men will be missed deeply by the MCHS sports community.  The team is very proud of themselves for the season they had.

There record proves that the Wolves not only improved their team play, but their winning percentage as well. The wolves also have a lot of young talent that will be returning next year. The future’s looking bright for the MCHS Wolves soccer team and the students and staff look forward to watching them succeed.