2018 sports recap: an astounding year

Erik Hultgren, News Writer

There is never a dull year in the world of sports. Whether you are a fan of football or soccer, basketball or baseball, ice-skating or track, there is always something going on.

In a year that contained not only a brilliant showing from professional and collegiate leagues as usual, but both the Winter Olympics and a FIFA World Cup, sports enthusiasts have witnessed a show unlike any other.

With training methods becoming more and more sophisticated, and athletes training harder than ever, 2018 proved to a remarkable year for sportsmen and women all across the globe.

Everyone will remember the year of 2018 differently in terms of sports: holding on to their own personal, cherished (or for the less fortunate, despised) memories. For the supporters of some teams, the year was a great success, and for others an utter failure. From the Cityzen Newspaper to our readers: we sincerely hope that for you it was the former!

While we sat back and enjoyed the variety of competitions from a neutral standpoint, there were certainly some moments that stood out above the rest.

To recap in no specific order:

• Lebron James shocked the world by joining the Los Angeles Lakers in free agency
  • University of Maryland Baltimore County upset Virginia in March Madness, becoming the first ever No. 16 seed to topple a No. 1 seed
  • United States Soccer legend Clint Dempsey retired
  • Kobe Bryant won an Oscar for “Dear Basketball”
  • France won the FIFA World Cup in France, where defending champions Germany were knocked out in the group stages
  • La Lumiere alum and University of Michigan freshman Jordan Poole knocked Houston out of the NCAA Tournament with a last-second buzzer beater
  • Hockey’s Las Vegas Golden Knights reached the Stanley Cup Final in their inaugural season
  • Baker Mayfield was drafted No. 1 overall by the Cleveland Browns, and proceeded to drag them out of the cellar of the NFL
  • Chloe Kim, a seventeen-year-old American, won gold for America in the women’s halfpipe at the PyeongChang Olympics
  • Patrick Mahomes transformed into an NFL MVP candidate with a breakout season
  • Sister Jean led Loyola-Chicago to the Final Four of the NCAA Tournament
  • Khabib Nurmagomedov tapped out Conor McGregor, and proceeded to brawl in the crowd
  • The Eagles won Super Bowl LII, while the Warriors won their third NBA title in four years, the Red Sox won the World Series, and the Capitals won the Stanley Cup
  • US Women’s Hockey won gold at the PyeongChang Olympics
  • James Harden won his first NBA MVP award
  • The U.S. Women’s National Soccer Team went undefeated leading up to 2019’s World Cup
  • Cristiano Ronaldo transferred from Real Madrid to Juventus, and Zlatan Ibrahimovic traded Manchester United for the L.A. Galaxy