Transfer frenzy takes over collegiate softball

Megan Grams, Sports Editor

In October, the NCAA issued a revised rule for student-athletes wanting to transfer to different. This revised rule now allowed transfers to play without sitting out a season. After the Autumn softball competition schedules concluded, the softball world has experienced several surprising transfers from top-notch athletes from highly ranked schools. The most concerning of these transfers being from multiple star athletes from previously ranked No. 1 Oregon.

Crown Point native, Junior, Miranda Elish stunned many when she announced her transfer decision alongside underclassman teammate, SophomoreLauren Burke. Elish and Burke were both vital players within Oregon’s defense and offense. Elish, an All-American right-handed pitcher led the Ducks to the Women’s College World Series last season. Burke proved her versatility at the plate and on the field for the Duck’s last season, aiding them in the post season. The two will be playing with former Oregon head coach, Mike White at Texas. Outfielder, Junior, Shannon Rhodes,  and standout catcher, Sophomore, Mary Iakopo also join their two teammates in Texas with former head coach.

All-American pitcher, Senior, Megan Kleist recently announced her transfer to University of Louisiana Lafayette to play alongside her old head coach. She helped the Ducks achieve three years full of success. Following the transfer dilemma at Oregon is Freshman, Alyssa Pinto.

In total, six outstanding players transferred this season from the University of Oregon after the announcement of the new head coach, Melyssa Lombardi from the talented Oklahoma team. Lombardi has done some recruiting and has received a few transfers. She is still looking solid for the upcoming season and still poses as a competitor in the PAC 12.

Coach White at Texas is looking at a competitive and talented team this season and is hoping to win the BIG 12 conference, and make a trip to the WCWS and with the influx of talented transfers, this goal is definitely in reach,

Megan Grams, Sports Editor

Megan Grams is very passionate about her writing, whether it be journalistic or creative writing. Writing is a walk in the park for Grams, she finds that...